The SPS section is responsible for the operation of SPS (Super Proton Synchrotron), HiRadMat, AWAKE and North Experimental Area.
They are also responsible for the operation of the LEIR accelerator during ion runs.
Facts and figures:
- In operation since 1976
- Circumference: 6.9 km
- Number of magnets: 1317
- Number of particles per beam: 40,000 billion protons
- Number of beam revolutions per second: 43400
- protons for LHC at 450 GeV/c
- protons for HiRadMat experiment at 440 GeV/c
- protons for AWAKE at 400 GeV/c
- protons and ions for fixed target physics up to 400 GeV/c
- 2.5 km of secondary beam lines